Thursday, January 27, 2011

What Mom's Don't Want to Know

About two weeks ago OTG Boy went on his first Scout Campout as a Deacon.
I was good with 11 Year Old Scouts - Dad's tag along.
Now the dad is optional and for this campout Handsome Hubby had to opt-out (had to work most of the day Saturday starting at 3am).
So, after school OTG Boy grabbed his pack and headed out the door.

Did I mention it's January and this was the "wilderness survival" campout?
So, off I send my son... no dad... no tent... nervous mom!
Let me just add... I've been attending the scout planning meetings and roundtable for the last year and a half as part of my calling (very different from cub planning & roundtables) - when the brethren start sharing their stories of all the "fun," the "games", the injuries and they're laughing and talking about how awesome it all is... all I can do is sit there thinking, "I'm the mother of four boys... four boys! Do I really need to be hearing all this!" I think I was better off in my ignorance :)
So, when OTG Boy came home the next day (Handsome Hubby still at work), I smile, trying to remain calm - but inside super excited to have him home alive! The first thing my son says is, "Well, I stepped on a nail last night. Don't worry, it's not hurting today." Second thing out of his mouth, "I cut myself twice - don't worry, it wasn't with my knife - it was the can opener." Nice!
So, as he unpacks and shares his stories... I feel proud. He's a good kid and I'm glad he had a good time.
And then he says, "let me tell you about the scorpion."
Four boys!!!
I hope we all survive!

2 comments:

Lara said...

You are scaring me! I don't want to know any more. I'm going to truly enjoy cub scouts while I can.

Cindy and Larry said...

and it sounds like this is just the beginning