Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Egg-less Cake

I kind of started panicking when I realized it's birthday season at my house. I don't have a ton of time for cake baking right now - so I was pleasantly surprised when I learned about this easy little trick. Here it is:
Go to the store, find a cake mix that does not contain eggs, peanuts, or tree nuts... verify that it wasn't processed in a plant with any of these allergens... buy it and take it home. Then when you go to mix the ingredients add the oil, but omit the eggs and water and instead pour in a can of soda (light colored soda in light colored cake and dark colored soda in a dark cake). When you bake the cake extend the cooking time by five minutes.
Honestly, it does come out very moist - so it's definitely a cake to leave in the pan or cook up as cupcakes and you'll want a frosting you can either pipe on or pour on to your cake - definitely won't spread.
But, it didn't take a lot of time... was very easy to make... and the kids loved it!

3 comments:

Barbie said...

So where did you find this cake and what is it called?

HaHa said...

No name, just googled "how to make a cake without eggs." Found several people had tried it. I've done it twice now and it works out pretty well. I also found an eggless brownie recipe I used to make an ice cream cake - it was good there, but I haven't tried them as stand alone brownies - I'll have to try them and let everyone know what I think :)

Jen said...

I love to make cakes that way my favorite is yellow cake with cherry 7up-- yummy-- I started making cake this way to make them fat free so I have never done it with the oil. It works great when you just add the can of soda-- oh and just FYI , I still have not found a cake flavor that works well with rootbeer .. :)