Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Garden

Our garden has been very productive this year!!!

It's been fun for the kids to help -

they help with the watering & the weeding.

So far we've harvested:

Green Bell Peppers

Roma Tomatoes (hundreds - it feels like)

Jalapeno Peppers (very spicy)

Peas

Cucumbers

and Okra!

The zuchini and crook neck squashes are almost ready!

Lessons Learned:

We had to battle the birds this year they kept eating our little plants...

Handsome Hubby created a system to keep the birds out!

Lesson two: we specifically planted roma tomatoes because I had heard they are excellent for canning. So, I thought with all our peppers I would make my own salsa to can. I learned making salsa is a lot of work - for a very small yield. I think I'll stick with the sales and buy my salsa at the store from now on : )

No comments: