Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Our Family's New Find

As many of you know... or maybe you don't know, I am lactose intolerant. I wasn't always this way - it's something that came up towards the end of being a missionary in Korea and the mystery wasn't fully solved until a year after I was back home. Luckily, with the aid of lactase supplements I've been able to eat dairy with only occasional problems.

However when I am pregnant supplements don't work for me - at least for the first 20 weeks. Don't ask me why - my doctors have only been able to speculate with no real concrete answers. In a way, this is a problem because everyone knows you need more calcium when you're pregnant and the best source is dairy - but for me it just doesn't work.

This pregnancy Handsome Hubby brought home something for me to try... something I've thought of trying before, but just never got around to doing it. It was...

Yes, it's Soy Milk and it turns out it's delicious. Now I can get all of my calcium along with several other vitamins and some fiber without getting sick and without having to take a supplement. It's great!

Don't worry - I'm not trying to put Dairy Farmers out of business - Handsome Hubby's mom and dad are in the dairy business. So, let me just say - I still love cheese, ice cream and yogurt! I'm just glad I found something to add to my diet that I can handle on my own.

I guess I'm also throwing the soy milk idea out there to use as part of your food storage. If you have a cool place to store it - you can buy it on the shelf and I've seen some with expiration dates a couple of years down the road. I've been thinking of keeping it on hand just because it does have the same nutrients of regular milk along with a few extra benefits and it's already in liquid form so you don't need to use any of your stored water to reconstitute it. It might be a nice healthy treat to have on hand in an emergency (especially vanilla flavored - it's yummy). But, I would suggest you try giving your family some form of soy to try before adding it to your storage - some people do have soy allergies.

2 comments:

FloridaGrandparents said...

Thanks for the idea of trying Silk. I'm so glad it works for you. You make it sound so delicious. Maybe we will try it too. It would be good to have on the pantry shelf for emergencies, if we like it.

Barbie said...

Hey Becky, I have been using that silk for several years. Megan uses it as well. Now I have found another brand at Costco that comes cold and warm. It's the Kirkland brand. I bought the ten pack of the warm for my food storage. It tastes very similar to the silk. We really only use it on cereal. It's good to hear from you on the blog.