Thursday, November 27, 2008

Just One of Many

There are so many things I am thankful for today... 2008 has been a very eventful year with more blessings than I can count. But, there is one that stands out so hugely today - I've been thanking my Heavenly Father for it in every prayer since Tuesday afternoon. I am so thankful for the blessing of Bubba's safety!

After a long visit to the doctor that morning (for me), I fed Bubba his lunch and put him on his bus for an afternoon of school. About 15 minutes later the phone rang... it was a representative from the school district's transportation department, they said, "Your son's bus has been in an accident, he's crying... he's scared... an EMT is checking on him right now... they'll give you a call in a couple of minutes and let you know what needs to happen next."

It was probably only 5 minutes at the most - but it seemed like forever. The call came... "he's got a few bumps and bruises - and pretty scared. " While talking with the firefighter, I decided I would drive over and pick-up Bubba myself.

When I arrived at the "scene" I found Bubba surrounded by six firefighters all talking about how cool his back pack was and how awesome it is to be a fireman. By this time the tears were gone and he was high-fiving everyone. They'd also been giving him a few snacks...
his prized possession?
This bottle of Gatorade!


Kids get over things a lot faster than mothers do. Bubba really wanted to go to school - he couldn't miss the Turkey Trot. So that's what he did - went to school - ran in the Turkey Trot and showed everyone the special Gatorade that he got from a real fireman.

Bubba's doing fine - just a bruised elbow and one bruised knee. The first thing he said when telling his brothers about the accident was, "Now I know why seatbelts are so important!" (Luckily, he was on a little bus - so he had the seatbelt to help keep him safe.) Then of course he was showing off what was left of the Gatorade.

As for me, I'd be perfectly fine if I never got another "your son's been in an accident" phone call again. This was my first (hopefully my last) - and I am so thankful that Bubba was safe!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

How scary. Glad he is ok. How about you?

FloridaGrandparents said...

I just added one more thing to my list of things I am thankful for. We are so glad he is safe too and that he was wearing his seat belt. We should have read this before we were talking on the phone a few minutes ago. Wow! What an experience for such a young one.

Suz said...

Holy SMOKES! That is one scary stroy! One I don't love to even think about! I didn't even know school buses were allowed to get in accidents! So... I will hope and pray that you never get a call like that EVER again! And I will add that to my list of Thanks tonight too... Thank you that Bubba is okay! :0) Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving.

HaHa said...

I'm doing fine - not the best situation to pop-up for someone who's supposed to be keeping her life as stress-free as possible... but so far, so good!